Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Assignment 3b: Soundscape Critique

Below are the transcribed audio reflections of those I was meant to critique. 


Connor Gartland’s Soundscape:

I really liked this soundscape. I couldn’t quite figure out what emotion Connor was trying to convey, but I think the image he used correlating to the beach and seagull sounds worked well together in creating a very soothing vibe initially. When the soundscape continues, in my mind a thunderstorm rolled in and caused the party to pack up in their cars and go home. Using the Gestalt principle, Connor layered sounds of kids laughing and talking to seem like a huge party in the beginning, but I could pick out individual voices when I tried hard enough. 


Jenny Armstrong's Soundscape:

I remember listening to Jenny’s soundscape in class, and not being quite sure what it was supposed to represent- flying, I think? In the end, I think she conveyed that very well. The ambient, white noise that was constantly on in the background created that hazy effect you get when you’ve been flying for hours on end. She used a picture of balloons floating for a sense of referential achievement with the sound. Touché.


Click here to listen to the actual audio reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment